Importance of Current Affairs in IAS Coaching
Watch Video – IAS Coaching Current Affairs (15th & 16th August)
Video Source – Shankar IAS Academy
find top institutes for IAS coaching
IAS Coaching Current Affairs 16-08-2019 are followed in the part below:
IAS Current Affairs and News Analysis 16-8-2019
(PRELIMS + MAINS FOCUS)
Chief of Defence Staff
Part of: GS Prelims
- PM Narendra Modi reported that legislature has chosen to set up the post of Chief of Defense Staff (CDF) for the three administrations — the Indian Army, the Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force.
- Cds is a post that will go about as the single-direct counsel toward the Government of India.
- Compact discs will be in a situation to exhort on issues identified with all the three administrations — Army, Navy and Air Force — along these lines making India’s military incorporated.
- Discs will be a ‘first among rises to’, a fourth four-star official who will be higher ranking than the three other help boss.
- The post is planned for guaranteeing better coordination between the three administrations.
- The aim is to “accommodate potential contrasts” in administration explicit sentiments to empower the legislature to land at the thought about military choices.
- The organization of a CDS will likewise encourage between administrations jointness as far as planning, hardware buys, preparing, joint precepts and arranging of military activities vital for strategizing a hearty and cost-proficient national safeguard approach.
Do you know?
- The proposal for making the post of CDS was first made after the 1999 Kargil War.
- A gathering of clergymen that was framed in 2001 to investigate essential changes required to improve India’s national security had additionally supported making the post of CDS.
- In 2012, the Naresh Chandra Task Force prescribed that post of a perpetual administrator of the Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC) ought to be made.
- The CoSC includes head of the Indian Army, Indian Navy and the Indian Air Force. The senior-most among them would go about as the director.
Part of: Mains GS-II – Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
- All notification and requests of the Income Tax Department gave on or after the first of October, 2019 will convey a PC produced Document Identification Number (DIN).
- It was discovered that most of IT see/orders have been given physically, without keeping up an appropriate review trail of such correspondence.
- The activity of DIN is planned to keep up a legitimate review trail of all such correspondence from IT division.
- Under uncommon situations where manual correspondence is required to be given, the purpose behind the issue of manual correspondence without DIN must be determined alongside the date of acquiring composed endorsement of the Chief Commissioner/Director General of Income-Tax.
- This is a stage taken by CBDT will acquire more prominent straightforwardness the working of the assessment organization and improvement in administration conveyance.
Competition Law Review
Part of: GS Prelims and Mains GS II – Governance
- The Government established a Competition Law Review Committee on first October 2018 to audit the current Competition law system and cause suggestions to further to reinforce the structure to bury alia address new financial difficulties.
- The Committee was led by Shri Injeti Srinivas.
- The panel has presented its report and a portion of its key proposals are:
- Presentation of a ‘Green Channel’ for mix warnings to empower quick-paced administrative endorsements for most of mergers and acquisitions having very few antagonistic consequences for rivalry.
- Presenting a devoted seat in NCLAT for hearing interests under the Competition Act.
- An acquaintance of express arrangements with distinguish ‘centre point and talked’ understandings just as understandings that don’t fit inside run of the mill flat or vertical enemy of focused structures to cover understandings identified with business structures and models synonymous with new age markets.
- CCI to give rules on the inconvenience of punishment to guarantee more straightforwardness and quicker basic leadership which will empower consistence by organizations.
- Fortifying the administration structure of CCI with the acquaintance of a Governing Board with supervising promotion and semi authoritative capacities, leaving adjudicatory capacities to the Whole-time Members.
- Consolidating DG’s Office with CCI as an ‘Examination Division’ as it helps CCI in releasing an inquisitorial as opposed to an antagonistic command. Be that as it may, utilitarian self-governance must be secured.
- Opening of CCI workplaces at the provincial level to do non-adjudicatory capacities, for example, look into, support and so on and collaboration with State Governments and State controllers.
Do You know?
- Rivalry Act, 2002 accommodated the foundation of a Commission to avert works on adversary affecting challenge, to advance and support rivalry in business sectors, to secure the premiums of purchasers and to guarantee the opportunity of exchange carried on by different members in business sectors, in India.
- The 2002 demonstration replaces “The Monopolies and Restrictive Trade Practices Act, 1969”
Part of: Mains GS III- Environmental Conservation
- Minor bits of plastic (shreds under 5mm long ) was found in Arctic day off the Alps.
- The examination predicts that microplastic particles are shipped huge separations through the air.
- These particles are later cleaned out of the air by precipitation, especially the day of.
- The group’s theory for airborne transportation expands on past research led on dust, where specialists affirmed that dust from close to the equator winds up in the Arctic.
- Thus, dust from the Sahara desert can cover a large number of kilometres and end up in the upper east Euro.
- The investigation raises worry with respect to whether and how much plastic we’re breathing in.
TOPIC: General Studies 2 :
- Government arrangements and intercessions for advancement in different parts and issues emerging out of their structure and usage.
TOPIC: General Studies 3 :
- Different Security powers and organizations and their command.
Office of the Chief of Defence Staff
- In his Independence Day address Thursday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi reported the formation of the post of Chief of Defense Staff to give “powerful initiative at the top level” to the three wings of the military, and to help improve coordination among them.
What is the office of the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS)?
- The CDS is a high military office that administers and organizes the working of the three Services, and offers consistent tri-administration perspectives and single-guide counsel toward the Executive (for India’s situation, to the Prime Minister) on long haul protection arranging and the board, including labor, gear and system, or more all, “joints manship” in tasks.
- In many majority rules systems, the CDS is viewed as being above between Service contentions and the prompt operational distractions of the individual military boss. The job of the CDS gets basic in the midst of contention.
- Most nations with cutting edge militaries have such a post, yet with changing degrees of intensity and authority. The United States Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC), for instance, is very incredible, with an enacted order and strongly depicted forces.
- He is the most senior military official and military counsellor to the President, and his dispatch reaches out to the National Security Council, the Homeland Security Council, and the Defense Secretary.
Why had India not appointed a CDS until now?
- India has had a weak proportionate known as the Chairman, Chiefs of Staff Committee (CoSC); however this is a toothless office, given the way wherein it is organized.
- The senior-most among the three Service Chiefs is delegated to head the CoSC, an office that slips with the officeholder’s retirement.
- When ACM Dhanoa resigns toward the finish of September 2019, he would have filled in as Chairman CoSC for an unimportant four months.
- The present Chairman CoSC is Air Chief Marshal Birender Singh Dhanoa, who succeeded the previous Chief of the Naval Staff Admiral Sunil Lanba on May 31.
- In 2015, at that point Defense Minister Manohar Parrikar had portrayed the CoSC course of action as “unsuitable”, and its Chairman as a “nonentity”.
- The post didn’t further tri-administration reconciliation, bringing about wastefulness and costly duplication of advantages.
- The CoSC framework is an extra from the frontier period, with just minor changes being done throughout the years. Worries in the political class about an incredible military pioneer, alongside between Services quarrelling, have since quite a while ago attempted to disincentivise the update of the post.
- The principal proposition for a CDS originated from the 2000 Kargil Review Committee (KRC), which required a redesign of the “whole range of national security the board and zenith basic leadership and structure and the interface between the Ministry of Defense and the Armed Forces Headquarters”.
- The Group of Ministers Task Force that concentrated the KRC Report and proposals proposed to the Cabinet Committee on Security that a CDS, who might be five-star official, be made.
- In anticipation of the post, the administration made the Integrated Defense Staff (IDS) in late 2002, which was to in the long run fill in as the CDS’ Secretariat. Nonetheless, in the course of recent years, this has remained one more indistinct division inside the military foundation.
But what happened to the proposal?
- No agreement rose among the Services, with the IAF particularly contradicted to such a move. The Congress, at that point in restriction, was against concentrating an excessive amount of military power in the post of CDS.
- The Ministry of Defense (MoD) as well, restricted it unpretentiously for similar reasons, and on the grounds that it could upset common military ties in the last’s support.
- The littler Air Force and Navy dread that the CDS would be from the Army, by a wide margin the biggest Service. The IAF has since a long time ago contended that not at all like the United States and other western militaries, the Indian Services are not an expeditionary power, for which a CDS is a need.
- In 2011, over 10 years after the KRC Report, the UPA government, drove by the Congress, which had contradicted the CDS proposition when in resistance, set up the Naresh Chandra Committee on protection and security.
- The 14-part advisory group, containing resigned Service Chiefs and other safeguard specialists, recommended a watered-down form of the CDS proposition, in which the Chairman CoSC in the position of a four-star official would have a fixed residency of two years.
- He would have altogether more position and powers than the Chairman CoSC, and would be a CDS in everything except name.
- The arrangement of a CDS would likewise prompt venue directions, another viewpoint that the IAF contradicts, dreading a decrease of its operational job.
What is the case for having a CDS?
- In spite of the fact that the KRC didn’t legitimately suggest a CDS — that originated from the GoM — it underlined the requirement for more coordination among the three Services, which was poor in the underlying long stretches of the Kargil strife.
- The KRC report brought up that India is the main significant majority rules system where the Armed Forces Headquarters is outside the zenith legislative structure. It saw that Service Chiefs give a large portion of their opportunity to their operational jobs, “frequently bringing about negative outcomes”. Long haul safeguard arranging endures as everyday needs rule.
- Likewise, the Prime Minister and Defense Minister don’t have the advantage of the perspectives and ability of military leaders, so as to guarantee that more significant level safeguard the board choices are progressively consensual and expansive based.
- The CDS is likewise observed as being essential to the making of “theatre directions”, incorporating tri-administration resources and staff like in the US military. India has 17 Service directions in various areas and copying resources.
- In 2016, China coordinated its military and other police and paramilitaries into five venues from the previous seven region directions, each with its very own comprehensive base camp, one of which has duty regarding the Indian outskirt. Interestingly, India’s outskirt with China is part between the Eastern, Western, and Northern Commands.
What are the arguments against?
- Hypothetically, the arrangement of a CDS is long past due, yet there gives off an impression of being no reasonable plan for the workplace to guarantee its viability. India’s political foundation is viewed as being to a great extent unmindful of, or, best case scenario uninterested towards, security matters, and consequently unequipped for guaranteeing that a CDS works.
- Militaries ordinarily will, in general, oppose change. In the US, the 1986 Goldwater-Nichols Act raised the Chairman from first among equivalents to the “head military consultant” to the President and the Secretary of Defense.
- In the Indian setting, pundits dread, the nonattendance of prescience and comprehension may wind up making the CDS simply one more instance of “employments for the young men”.
- There is a more prominent need to fitting methodologies State by State as well as now and again region by region to end the malady. It is likewise high time that an aggregate interest for the convenient arrangement of courtesies is made at the network level and a feeling of shared obligation by the populace to guarantee that the additions from government’s endeavours to lessen the frequency of vector-borne illnesses prove to be fruitful.
Who at present advises India’s Prime Minister on military matters?
- In actuality, it is the National Security Adviser. This has been particularly so after the Defense Planning Committee was made in 2018, with NSA Ajit Doval as its executive, and the remote, guard, and use secretaries, and the three Service Chiefs as individuals.
Connecting the dots:
- What exactly degree do you think India needs ahead of resistance staff at the peak level to assume the liability of basic leadership under basic and fundamental conditions.
- Separate between guard powers, paramilitary powers and focal outfitted police powers.
- Talk about the Pros and Cons for the production of the post of Chief of Defense Staff?
TOPIC: General Studies 2:
- Governance | Issues relating to development & management of Social Sector/Services relating to Health, Education, Human Resources
- India ranked 4th and, according to WHO, has around 2.3 million children who remain unvaccinated for measles.
- All-inclusive, 20 million youngsters didn’t get measles inoculation in 2018. India had the most elevated occurrence rate—76.4 per million populace—for measles among youngsters younger than one between July 2018-June 2019. Nonetheless, the general number of kids having the infection tumbled to 24,076 (January-June 2019) from 69,391 of every 2018.
The spread of Measles and Rubella in India
- As per the most recent Global Measles and Rubella Update, India had 56,399 affirmed measles cases and 1,066 affirmed rubella cases in 2018.
- According to WHO, measles is a main source of death in kids, with 33% (around 56,000 out of 2011) of all measles passings overall occurring in India.
- Rubella causes birth deserts, for example, irreversible deafness and visual impairment in about 40 thousand kids in India consistently.
- In any event, 220 million kids from 30 states and association domains have just been immunized under the across the nation crusade that began in 2017.
- The infection is normally known as German measles (or three-day measles) and is symptomatically like measles.
- It can have annihilating outcomes if a pregnant mother is contaminated with it and the embryo might be brought into the world with serious inborn inconsistencies.
- Side effects of the disease can incorporate waterfalls and deafness.
- It can likewise influence the heart and the cerebrum.
- The intrinsic rubella contamination is accepted to influence around 25,000 youngsters conceived in India consistently.
- The measles antibody is right now given under the Universal Immunization Program (UIP). Be that as it may, rubella antibody will be another expansion to it.
What is Measles?
- Measles is a dangerous illness and one of the significant reasons for death in youngsters. It is profoundly infectious and spreads through hacking and wheezing of a tainted individual. It can make a youngster helpless against hazardous intricacies, for example, looseness of the bowels, pneumonia and cerebrum contamination.
What is Rubella?
- Rubella is commonly mellow contamination however has genuine outcomes if disease happens in pregnant ladies, causing CRS, which is a reason for general wellbeing concern. CRS is described by intrinsic inconsistencies in the embryo and infants influencing the eyes (waterfall, glaucoma), ears (hearing misfortune), cerebrum (mental hindrance, microcephaly) and heart abandon, causing a gigantic financial weight on the families specifically and society when all is said in done.
- Delhi High Court put on hold the govt plan for a measles-rubella inoculation battle in schools over the capital, saying the choice didn’t have the assent of guardians.
- The court’s organization acquainted a measurement with immunization — the topic of assent — that had not been enough managed before.
- Court’s organization said that ‘measles immunization can’t be directed “persuasively” and without the assent of guardians,’ it acquainted a measurement with inoculation — the subject of assent — that had not been satisfactorily managed before.
Different views on consent
- Guardians: It is settled rule that decision of an individual, even in instances of life-sparing restorative treatment, is an inseparable piece of pride which should be ensured.
- Government: Consent in routine inoculation is suggested in light of the fact that it is the guardians or individuals from the family who carry the youngster to the emergency clinic or social insurance focus. For open great and for an antibody that is attempted and tried, there is sufficient proof on security and viability and something which is as of now a piece of the general vaccination program, composed assent ought not to be fundamental.
- Schools were deliberately picked, as opposed to wellbeing focuses or emergency clinics, since no place else can such huge quantities of kids in the significant age gathering be focused on.
- Worldwide practice: Parental assent ought to be acquired before immunization. This is the standard practice the world over. Albeit, World Health Organization perceives oral, composed, and suggested assent for immunization, nations are urged to embrace techniques that guarantee that guardians have been educated and consented to the inoculation
Why India ranks 4th in terms of the measles outbreak?
- Inoculation rates must ascent at a huge scale, particularly, in strife-ridden and poor territories—the most noticeably awful hit by plunging immunization rates.
- The relocation from these locales to different nations, the issue of missing immunization could genuinely get all-inclusive.
- Poor medicinal services foundation and mindfulness.
- The ‘counter vax’ promulgation is developing as the greatest snag. Solid strides to discredit and control the spread of such purposeful publicity additionally should be taken.
Connecting the dots:
- The revealed cases and passings because of the measles are on the ascent in examination with earlier years’ records. Examine the purposes for it. Additionally, expound on what preventive advances ought to be taken by the legislature.
(TEST YOUR KNOWLEDGE)
Model questions: (You can now post your answers in the comment section)
Q.1) Consider the following statements about Competition Law Review Committee constituted in October 2018
- The Committee was chaired by Bimal Jalan.
- The committee proposes introducing a dedicated bench in NCLAT for hearing appeals under the Competition Act.
- The committee also proposes the opening of CCI offices in every state to carry out non-adjudicatory functions such as research, advocacy etc. and interaction with State Governments and State regulators.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct? 1,2 and 3 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 1 and 2 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1,2 and 3
Q.2) Consider the following statements about Document Identification Number
- It is an initiative of GST Council.
- It will bring greater transparency in the functioning of the tax-administration and improvement in service delivery.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct? 1,2 and 3 only
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Q.3) Consider the following statements
- Tiny pieces of plastic (shreds less than 5mm in length) are found in Arctic snow.
- The presence of microplastics in such places suggests that they are being carried around the planet in atmospheric winds and that we’re breathing them in.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Both 1 and 2